Monday, October 28, 2013

Its a bloody thick wall


As runners, (yes I am still gripping onto that term) we all go through patches of not so great running. What brings it on? It could be the stress of work, come back from injury, too much running, not enough running, poor diet, and my personal favourite - generally can't be fucked.

 I have hit the wall people. The biggest, reinforced, hurricane strengthened wall you can imagine. I've run at it, sat and looked at it, ridden my bike at it, tried to piggy back on my friends over it, all with limited success. It will mortify almost everyone who reads this, but I just don't like running at the moment. 


The six weeks I had off, seems like a lifetime ago, and since then I've fumbled my way through 6-7 hours a week of 'running'. I've quite possibly done more complaining, sulking, stretching and walking then I have actual running. I've also felt like I've worked harder than I've ever had to, and I still feel like I'm running at the speed of cheese. My Garmin tells me otherwise. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my pace. So what is with this wall? Where has that enthusiasm for running gone... up the boohai shooting pukekos perhaps?


I've talked to a couple of people lately about this wee pickle, and I've come up with a few things which might be causing this head on collision with the wall of doom.

 

1) Was I only training so hard because I had so much riding on my result at Tarawera? (Fundraising for Hospice). That race meant the world to me, and there wasn't a chance I was going to give anything less than 100%

2) I expect I should be running faster, and I'm putting too much pressure on myself to get back to where I was? I don't really believe in this one. I'm quite happy with my pace, its the effort it takes to do said pace which is the issue.

3) There are too many rest days and opportunity to procrastinate. Prior to injury, I was running 6 consecutive days a week. This seemed to work, and I could say if it was too much. Currently, I'm on a 3 on 1 off type system. Which means I can get away with pushing a run out the afternoon if I'm feeling like a sleep in. Lazy.

4) This will make you giggle, because it is THAT ridiculous. I don't like that my coach, coaches so many of my friends now. We are all on similar plans, with the same end goal. How am I going to be faster, if we're all doing the same thing. How selfish can I be! It’s a huge problem though. Sorry coachy!

5) How the fuck can Keith Crook have so much time off, and still run like a mountain goat. Grrr. Love you Keith.  :-)

6) I've not raced. I think I've developed a phobia of it. Some people love racing, but I have nothing to prove and don't hold racing in very high regard. To me, it’s a lot of money for something you can do for free.

  
I've been so close to making the call to throw in the towel. Then I tell myself, just give it another week. So what have I been doing to try and get over my hump you ask? Well I tried avoiding my friends for a week, and every single day one of them would turn up and drag me along. That's some pretty awesome friends right there. I've tried running with new people in new places. Shaun Collins put up with me for a few hours out west... turns out we had a lot to talk about, and not much running was done. I tried bribing myself with beer and sausages this weekend on a recce run of the Te Henga section of the Hillary Trail. Again, there was more talking and photo taking done than running... but I had fun. Monday was a pivotal running moment for me. Whitford Forest is my favourite place to run. I love pine forests, people prattle on about the beauty of our native bush ... bluuurrgg... Pine is where it’s at, I love the way the sun flecks through, I love the Smurf houses in Autumn, and wild flowers in Spring, the smell of the pine needles, the sound the wind makes swirling through the tops ahhhh. Anyways, back to my run. I went alone, a rare occurrence, and I wasn't looking forward to it. But in fact,  I had the freedom to run as fast or slow as I liked, with my shirt off, and CCR cranking on my IPod. I didn't have to talk or keep up with anyone, I just enjoyed the forest and running free.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit sore and tired today... but I'm going to hold on to that run, and hope it sparks a little fire in my belly (not of the heartburn variety though)

See me in all my Lillyhuff glory at the Speights Westcoaster in 3 weeks. Promises to be perfect conditions for a shit fit.


Thank you for reading. I am Leah, and I hate running.






2 comments:

  1. Aaargh. Snap out of it! I now have time to join your Saturday group and I can't wait!

    (As soon as the doctor says it's ok.)

    ReplyDelete